How can I get MuseScore 4?
MuseScore 4 is available to download free from MuseScore.org as a desktop app. It is available for macOS, Windows and Linux.
Will MuseScore 4 always be free?
We don't believe in barriers to creativity. That's why MuseScore 4 will always remain free and open-source. So will any future versions of the MuseScore desktop app.
That makes it the perfect app for composers starting out, music educators, or anyone who wants to experiment with notation. Thanks to professional-level engraving tools, it's fantastic for more complex and advanced projects too.
What devices are compatible with MuseScore 4?
MuseScore 4 is compatible with the following desktop operating systems:
- macOS 11.5 Big Sur or above
- Windows 10 or higher
Is there a mobile app for MuseScore 4?
Currently, MuseScore 4 is only available as a desktop app.
Please note: MuseScore.com offers a free mobile app for performing and viewing sheet music in the MuseScore library. This mobile app can not be used to create or edit scores.
What is included with MuseScore 4?
Whether you're writing a symphony or a solo; composing for jazz band, marching band or pop band, MuseScore 4 has everything you need.
- Compose with smart, intuitive tools, all designed for an effortless workflow. Adjust pitch, rhythm, tempo, dynamics and articulation as you go. Edit parts for multiple-instruments with ease.
- Enjoy a premium-quality engraving system, so even the most complex notation is positioned in easy-to-read formats. Customize your scores with different note-fonts and styles.
- Preview your creations with an advanced audio playback engine that supports instrument mixing, plus VST instrument and effects plug-ins.
- Feel moved by your music, thanks to astonishingly realistic Muse Sounds. These preset plug-ins include meticulously-sampled strings, woodwind, brass, percussion, choirs, synths and more. All sound collections are available to download free from the Muse Hub app.
- Save your creations to your MuseScore.com account and publish to the MuseScore Catalog.
Learn more about the new features in MuseScore 4 here.
Where can I find MuseScore 4 tutorials?
Start with our MuseScore 4 in minutes series, our tutorials that teach the basics of setting up your first score, adding basic notation, composing with MIDI instruments and much more.
Why is MuseScore 4 open source?
The original MuseScore composition app began life as a free, open-source alternative to existing software programmes. Our team remains proud of MuseScore's history — and of our dedicated open-source community of developers, supporters, translators and more who help us continue to improve MuseScore 4 for everyone.
Can I use compositions I create in MuseScore 4 commercially?
MuseScore does not impose any ownership or license on your work, whether its sheet music or exported audio files. What you make is entirely your own creation and you decide what to do with it.